• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

We're back in the States! - Days 9, 10, 11, and 12!

I'm back at home, so I finally have internet! We all got up at 4am London time - it was so early! We flew from Gatwick to Houston, and those of us that live in the Houston area got home early. The rest of the group then flew to Dallas and then drove to Shreveport! I think they should be on their way to Shreveport as I write this.


I think I left off on Saturday as we were leaving to see Wicked. We took the subway to the theatre instead of walking there. I mentioned the soccer game in my last post. Well, it seemed like all the Chelsea fans were on the subway with us. A fight almost broke out between a fan from the winning team and a fan of the losing team! It was a little scary - luckily, we got off at the next stop. We stopped at a sandwich place across the street from the Apollo Victoria for a quick dinner before the show. Wicked was amazing! I am so glad we got tickets. Most people in choir saw shows on Saturday as well. About half of the choir saw Mary Poppins and loved it! I think we all enjoyed taking a break from our own concerts to watch professionals perform.

On Sunday we took a walking tour of London. We took pictures of the Parliament buildings and Big Ben. We also watched the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. We then went to the tower of London. It was not crowded at all, so I did not have to fight to see the crown jewels! I want a tiara! After a long day of being a tourist, most of us used the rest of the evening to begin packing to come home.

On Monday we left London for Canterbury to perform in Canterbury Cathedral. Before our concert we took a group picture in the cathedral. We then gave our last performance of the year, which was extra-emotional because it was also our last concert with Will directing. Most of us held our composure until our last song, "The Lord Bless You and Keep You," when several of us teared up. For me it was a very surreal moment. I thought back three years to my audition for the choir and to my first choir camp. It was impossible to keep from crying when looking back on all the wonderful memories with Will and the choir that have had such an impact on my college experience. After regaining our compose, we explored the cathedral, did a little shopping, and had lunch before busing back to London.

Monday night we had our annual end of the year banquet where we honor the graduating seniors as they sign the Branding Board. The Branding Board is signed my choir members when they become alumni of the choir. We then circled Will and the seniors and sang "The Lord Bless You and Keep You." I do not think there was a dry eye in the room when we finished singing. I think we were all focusing on what the choir has meant to us and how thankful we are for Will's guidance. I am still in denial that Will is retiring, but I am excited to be in the choir during this transition period. I am really looking forward to this new chapter in the choir's history.

The End. Love, Margaret

1 Comments:

Blogger Jere Joiner said...

I have enjoyed reading Margaret's comments. I too was in the Centenary Choir under Cheesy (and with Will) in the early 60s. In fact, Will and my wife Connie were in Little Mary Sunshine together. She and I also visited London, Canterbury and some of the other places, but didn't get to see Wicked until we were in New York a year or so ago. Thank you again, Margaret, for your blogging, and thanks too to Will for carrying on Cheesy's tradition.

Jere Joiner

June 26, 2007 at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home